Sunday, July 28, 2013

Sammamish River Trail Biking (South to Wine District)

Hello! Sorry for no post last night (when I should have) - I was too tuckered out from the bike ride yesterday. It's been a long time since I took a trip on the Sammamish River trail.
The Sammamish River trail, named for the iconic Sammamish River (or the Sammamish Slough) is a ten-mile-long paved trail stretching from Bothell to Marymoor park. Equestrian access is available through a softer dirt shoulder on the side, though no motorized vehicles are allowed for use. From my experience, the trail is a very popular place for bicycle training and jogging. With beautiful views of the lake and access to prime fishing spots and the Gold Creek Tennis and Sports Club, the trail is used by many.
I normally start my trips at the Wilmot Gateway Park in Woodinville and go either north to Bothell or south to the Tourist District. In order to get used to riding my bicycle again, I headed south. It's a shorter ride by quite a bit, though very worth the leisurely twenty-minute ride.
The wine district (or tourist district) is home to wineries and breweries that draw in a lot of tourism and have grown to be Woodinville's greatest assets. I'm not one to take a drink, but I've always loved walking through the Chateau Ste. Michelle and maybe grabbing a bite with friends at the Redhook Brewery. However, all three locations seemed to be closed to the public last night due to concerts and events. I wrapped up at the Columbia Winery and took a small paved decline towards an abandoned railroad along the 202. I walked it for a little while, stepping over blackberry vines and around tall foxgloves.
Overall, the ride there and back was very smooth. Unlike what I remember on my way to Bothell from Wilmot Gateway, the trail was very smooth. It's a long trip for kiddos but a nice way to get a day out started for just about everybody. I suggest you take a look at the Sammamish River Trail - I might be on it again today!


Sammamish River
Sammamish River Trail
Woodinville Wine District
City of Woodinville
Chateau Ste. Michelle
Redhook Brewery
Columbia Winery

No comments:

Post a Comment