Sunday, September 1, 2013

Portland's Runaways

Charlie on 12th

Charlie, please stop smoking
You can't be older than I
and Portland is very warm today. 
I see you sitting on 12th and Couch
Your mother's coinpurse
and a faulty lighter
By your feet. 
Charlie, I don't know your name
and your hair is a mess
Are you a boy? 
Charlie, why didn't you say a word? 
I asked you to stand 
so we wouldn't back into you
and you did. 
You smiled, flashed your pearly whites
Oh, I did love your teeth
and your expression when I said hello. 
Charlie, please stop smoking.
Charlie, please go home. 


Peyton on Burnside

Shoes worn through
khakis torn
Hair growing out
Hopping over Starbucks cups
Peyton, I see you. 
Peyton, where's your mama?
Peyton, you're thin. 
Pale, pink cheeks
Pimples just beginning life
Has to be fourteen
In trouble
In trouble
Peyton, I see you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment